Deadline: Mar - 20 - 2020
Deadline: Mar - 20 - 2020
The AEE – Institute for Sustainable Technologies (AEE INTEC), the United Nations Industrial Development Organisation (UNIDO) and the European Technology and Innovation Platform on Renewable Heating & Cooling (RHC-ETIP) are co-organising the 2nd International Sustainable Energy Conference – ISEC 2020 “Renewable Heating and Cooling in Integrated Urban and Industrial Energy Systems” from 14 to 16 October 2020 in Graz, Austria.
To implement the Paris Climate Agreement an almost complete phasing out of fossil energy supply by 2050 is required. This presents enormous challenges for the society, but also offers opportunities for research and industry to pave the way for a sustainable global energy system. The ISEC 2020 will focus on solutions for the heating and cooling sector in urban and industrial contexts. In the climate change debate there is mutual agreement that this area needs more attention.
Consumption of energy for heating and cooling remains heavily based on fossil fuels and contributes to nearly 40% of global energy-related CO2 emissions. Modern renewable heat supplies only around 10% of the global heating and cooling demand and has not grown significantly. Policy awareness on increasing renewable energy and energy efficiency in the heating and cooling sectors continues to be lacking. Only around 20% of countries have national targets for heating and cooling. Particularly, in developing countries the awareness on the latest technology innovations remains low.
The ISEC 2020 sees itself as a promoter of innovative ideas and a forum of exchange between research, industry and policy. It also facilitates dialogue and knowledge transfer between industrialised and developing countries. In this context, the centers of the Global Network of Regional Sustainable Energy Centers (GN-SEC) and UNIDO will contribute to the conference by bringing in the perspectives and particular needs of developing countries.
The co-organisers have launched a call for papers, which will be open by 20 March 2020. Innovators from industrialised and developing countries are encouraged to submit their paper in line with the established conference topics:
TECHNOLOGIES AND SYSTEMS FOR BUILDINGS, INDUSTRY, DISTRICTS AND CITIES
• Renewable Heating and Cooling
• Emerging Heat and Cold Storages
• Solutions for Energy Efficiency
• Sustainable Renovation
• Energy and Resource Recovery from Low-grade Sources
• Process Intensification
• Coupling of Energy Sectors
• Flexibility and Stability of Thermal and Electric Grids
• Future District Heating and Cooling Technologies
• Replacement of big fossil Power Plants by Renewables – Impact on District Heating
SUPPORT SCHEMES FOR IMPLEMENTATION
• Policies for Renewable Heating and Cooling
• Spatial Energy Planning with Focus on Renewable Energies
• IT Technologies and Artificial Intelligence for Management of Future Energy Systems
• Life Cycle Assessment for Renewable Energy Systems
• Finance and Business Models driving Renewable Heating and Cooling
• Smart Services and System Operation
Successful applicants will be invited to present the paper in the conference. Further information is available at: https://www.aee-intec-events.at/events/isec-2020.html