The East African Centre for Renewable Energy and Efficiency (EACREEE) and the Alliance for Rural Electrification (ARE) is co-organising the second edition of the Sustainable Energy Forum for East Africa (SEFEA) from 22 to 24 June 2021. The event is supported by GET.invest, a European programme supported by the European Union, Germany, Sweden, the Netherlands, and Austria; and the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO). The event will be held in English and French with simultaneous translations.Considering the global COVID-19 pandemic and the ensuing travel difficulties, the event will be held virtually.
SEFEA will raise awareness about the progress made by EAC member states toward achieving sustainable energy targets set for 2030. It will also focus on achieving the vision of the EAC for a prosperous regional sustainable energy market, which is contingent upon harnessing the region’s vast renewable energy and energy efficiency potentials. A particular focus will be given to the role of decentralised renewable energy (DRE) in powering the EAC region.
SEFEA will be organised over 3 days with four overarching themes:
Thematic Session I: Powering rural job creation in EAC with decentralised renewable energies
Thematic Session II: Energy Efficient Lighting and Appliances in EAC and SADC (EELA)
Thematic Session III: Innovative financing of productive uses of energy and cold chain
Thematic Session IV: Scaling up access to clean cooking in the EAC region
The Forum will feature:
- Presentations from public sector stakeholders on progress towards achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the role of DRE in achieving these goals by 2030;
- Interactive topical discussions with public and private sector stakeholders pertaining to the key themes of SEFEA;
- Pitches from selected private sector companies and start-ups offering innovative DRE solutions and business models to energise the EAC region;
- Virtual 1:1 meetings during the GET.invest Matchmaking before, during and after the event to increase partnerships;
- A deep-dive workshop focusing on DRE in Burundi.
Further information is available at: https://sefea2021.get-invest-matchmaking.eu/