The Regional Center for Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency (RCREEE) is an intergovernmental organization with diplomatic status that aims to enable and increase the adoption of renewable energy and energy efficiency practices in the Arab region. RCREEE is the official technical arm institution of League of Arab State – Energy Department and Arab Ministerial Council for Electricity (AMCE).
RCREEE teams with governments, international organizations, IFIs and private sector to initiate and lead policy dialogues favorable to clean energy solutions, strategies and technologies by managing and facilitating renewable energy investments platforms in Arab countries.
Having today 17 Arab countries among its members, RCREEE strives to lead renewable energy and energy efficiency initiatives in the Arab states based on its strategic plan approved by its Board of Trustees in 2017.
RCREEE Secretariat consist of strong multidisciplinary teams across Sustainable Energy and Climate Action domains with a diverse multicultural backgrounds.
RCREEE is a financially autonomous organization. RCREEE main source of finance is generated through e RCREEE member states fees , the comprehensive portfolios of programmes and partnerships conducted via development agreements with DFIs, third party contract, and innovative climate-finance programmes. RCREEE also holds the fiduciary responsibility and all related legal jurisdiction of its activities.
RCREEE is organized as an independent regional organization with international legal status and organizational structure as per the organization's Charta. The Charta stipulates a three-tier structure with a Member States’ assembly (“Board of Trustees”), an executive committee (“Executive Committee”) and a secretariat (“Secretariat”) that is headed by the RCREEE Executive Director.
Tasks and Responsibilities of the Executive Director
The Executive Director undertakes the strategic & intellectual leadership in addition to general management of RCREEE. S/He works on the development and implementation of RCREEE strategic plan efficiently and with high quality. The Executive Director submits periodic reports to the Executive Committee. He/she also represents RCREEE in accordance with Article 8 of the RCREEE’s Charta and supervises all RCREEE activities.
The Executive Director responsibilities include the following:
- Secure RCREEE institutional & financial sustainability and independence. Continuously ensure and enhance a robust pipeline of projects, contracts and agreements aligned with RCREEE work areas and mandate
- Lead RCREEE team in developing innovative financing mechanisms and ensuring the progression of projects, agreements and contracts to secure adequate fund to implement RCREEE’s mission and objectives through solid partnerships and projects portfolio that fits RCREEE’s work areas and mandate
- Formulate a clear vision and work plan, with detailed budget and enhancement tools, to ensure effective implementation of RCREEE’s mandate, objectives and activities defined by RCREEE charta, and in accordance with the Board of Trustees and Executive Committee decisions, and to maintain RCREEE’s image and deepen its positive impact
- Assess the political & economic status and trends in RCREEE Member States regularly, in coordination with the members of RCREEE Board of Trustees and Executive Committee, to ensure RCREEE’s projects and programs are relevant and responds to emerging priorities and needs
- Stimulate dialogues and establish new strategic partnerships with regional and international stakeholders and partners to strengthen RCREEE’s position, facilitate its mission and attract additional funds
- Deepen and strengthen RCREEE’s commitment to sustainable strategies in RCREEE Member States (with special focus on renewable energy and energy efficiency strategies)
- Develop and strengthen RCREEE institutional & intellectual capabilities and internal organizational development activities to ensure diversity and quality
- Develop, enhance and maintain efficient organizational structure & excellent inter-departmental communications flow. The executive director sets clear responsibilities, performance indicators and targets for positions in the organization’s structure. S/he up-scales RCREEE’s performance in cooperation with Executive Committee ensuring adhering to regulations and efficient economic standards
- Promote knowledge management to ensure availing best experiences and information exchange
- Adhere to RCREEE’s charta, regulations, governance bodies (Board of Trustees and Executive Committee) decisions, financial audit requirements & recommendations in accordance with international best practices.
- Foster empowering work environment that encourages initiatives, teamwork, diversity and fairness
Competencies and Qualifications
The Executive Director must be a citizen of one of RCREEE Member States: Algeria, Bahrain, Djibouti, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Mauritania, Palestine, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia and Yemen.
The selection process will be made on the basis of the following criteria in line with the established principles of recruitments for regional organizations:
- At least 15 years of experience (after obtaining his/her university degree or its equivalent) in energy or engineering (electrical or mechanical) or economics, or business and financial administration,
- At least 10 years of work experience holding leadership position at organization working in renewable energy, energy efficiency and sustainability domain or international financial institutions or intergovernmental organizations, or self-financed institutions
- Advanced university degree (at least Master’s Degree) in one of the following domains energy, renewable energy, energy efficiency, sustainable development, management and economics, business administration or banking.
- A strong comprehensive knowledge of energy, renewable energy, and climate change issues, sustainable development international agenda, and its global trends and relevant stakeholders
- Proven ability to create and lead innovative financing models to ensure adequate funds and to lead financial management team with transparency adhering to international standards
- Strong analytical, and negotiating skills, including the ability to engage and motivate a diverse range of stakeholders to establish strong strategic partnerships with RCREEE
- Strong knowledge of intergovernmental organizations challenges including working effectively and efficiently with development partners
- Proven experience in projects and grants acquisition from different donors and financing institutions
- Experience in developing and proposing new concepts attractive to donors and financing institutions
- Experience in building strong relationships with relevant national, regional and international institutions
- Fluency in oral and written Arabic and English or Arabic and French. Knowledge of the three languages is a plus.
- Experience in financial management and resources management.
- Age should not exceed 55 years.
* Note: References of the above qualifications will be requested upon passing the initial assessment and selection phase.
- Works effectively with team members from all backgrounds on the basis of equality, dignity and respect
- Respects and understands different points of view
- Controls his/her personal biases ensuing they won’t interfere in decision making processes and avoids any discriminate against any individual or group
- Respect and Trust Building
- Encourages team work and freedom of expression
- Operates with transparency and supports colleagues, staff members and stake holders
- Follows up on exaction of work plans and encourages efficient employees
- Treats sensitive or confidential information appropriately
- Honors commitments with all stakeholders
- Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules
- Supports subordinates, and provides the needed directions and supervision
- Takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work units, where applicable.
- Serves as a role model to follow and empowers team members to ensure the achievement of RCREEE's objectives.
- Sets a vision regarding future sustainable challenges and solutions and anticipates innovative strategies
- Problem and conflict solving by pursuing mutually agreeable solutions
- Pursues positive changes and development
- Ability to conduct strong situational analysis, resolves conflicts and overcomes challenges effectively and quickly
- Ability to embrace negative impacts of any decision
- Ability to make tough decisions during time/political/economic sensitive situations
Progress and Development
- Strong strategic management and planning skills
- Ability to formulate innovative vision for work areas and projects
- Ability to develop and evaluate regional developmental programs and projects
- Ability to amend and customize projects to meet the specific and different member states context, and to propose high-quality economic solutions
Conditions of Employment
The Executive Director is appointed according to RCREEE regulations as follows
- The term of appointment is three years
- RCREEE Executive Director will be required to reside in Egypt for the full duration of the contract
How to apply:
- To apply please send an updated CV and a cover letter highlighting relevant work experience to: firstname.lastname@example.org at the latest by October 30, 2020 with the subject line: " Application for Executive Director Position”
Emails without subject line will be automatically discarded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
*Note: In the event of inconsistency or discrepancy between the Arabic version and any of the other linguistic versions of this annoucement, the Arabic version shall prevail.