Virtual side event: Accelerating renewable energy and energy efficiency markets to foster industrialization through regional collaboration in Africa, 21 November 2022
In the context of the African Union (AU) Extraordinary Summit on Industrialization and Economic Diversification and AU Extraordinary Session on the African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA), UNIDO is organising the side event "Accelerating renewable energy and energy efficiency markets to foster industrialization through regional collaboration in Africa” under the GN-SEC program.
WHEN: Monday, 21 November 2022 from 11AM to 12:45PM CET (Vienna/Niger time)
Side event organised in the margins of the African Union Commission (AUC) Summit on Industrialization and Economic Diversification.
WHAT: The panel aims at showcasing successful examples of regional collaboration and exploring opportunities for scaling up regional interventions supporting the African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA)’s energy strategy and the African Single Electricity Market (AfSEM)’s masterplan, exploring regional collaborations potential for a continental RE and EE markets uptake. The meeting with further elaborate on opportunities for localizing value chains through developing RE and EE Markets.
Please find attached panel concept note including the draft agenda.
- Mr. Rashid Abdallah, Executive Director of African Energy Commission (AFREC), African Union Commission
- Mr. David Lecoque, Director General, Alliance for Rural Electrification (ARE)
- Mr. Francis Semporé, Executive Director, ECOWAS Regional Center for Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency (ECREEE)
- Mr. Jalel Chabchoub, Chief Energy Efficiency Officer, African Development Bank (AfDB)
- Ms. Kornelia Iipinge, Project Coordinator, SADC Renewable Energy Entrepreneurship Support Facility, SADC Centre for Renewable
Energy and Energy Efficiency (SACREEE)
- Mr. Tareq Emtairah, Director, Division of Decarbonization & Sustainable Energy (DSE), United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO)
- Ms. Rana Ghoneim, Chief, Energy Systems and Decarbonization Unit (DSE/ESD), UNIDO